Sunday, May 1, 2011

Got Community?

Very few times in my life have i experienced community. Growing up in the city taught me not to trust outsiders or even let others get close. Every night on the news there was some story of someone being taken advantage of by someone else in one way or another. The safest thing to do in my mind was just to trust my immediate family. Even though at times emotional crimes were committed on a daily basis by them as well. I heard that there was a community in the church. A kinship of believers who supported each other and gave their burdens to one another. I looked there for a number of years and each encounter proved to me that "community" was claimed but rarely practiced, except in extremely tragic times. Loss of a life or a divorce etc. I noticed that the everyday saw few visitors from the community. Thats when we need it the most right? Eventually the skepticism turned into a sense of synisism and it seemed all hope was lost. When the walls started closing in and i looked around l was all alone, panic set in,. I wanted to cry for help but my experience had been that no one would here me anyway. What is one to do? Where do we go? After years of being beaten up by adversity and struggle (much of which was self induced) community found me.
 Would you believe me if i told you that we have never been alone? My actions, pain, loss, behavior, thoughts, intent or anythings else has never or will ever separate me from this community. It took me being able to expose my soul to others, the good, the bad, the indifferent, and have them love me anyway. Not just the idea of love. The physical feeling and experience of love. The affirmations, the hugs, the tears, the knowing. When you feel that feeling you are experiencing the creators love the way it was intended. With that revelation i discovered i never wanted to live the lie of separation from love again. The world tries over and over and the ego as well attempts to sway me to isolation and feelings of "not good enough". When that happens i merely look around at the community and rest in the assurance and evidence that love is here. I understand that the community is there, i just have to choose to live loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment